Cyclekart progress, Dec 13, 2009 — front axle on, steering works!
I found some u-bolts of the proper size (1 and 5/8 inch diameter was what I needed, because that’s the outer diameter of the steel pipe I used for my axle) at O’Reilly autoparts. They’re meant for holding exhaust pipes on, but they seem to be pretty heavy duty steel, so I’m not worried about them failing or anything. I didn’t use the little bracket that came with them, but fabricated my own instead from some steel plate.
Above you see the axle attached to the springs.
Here’s a closeup of the u-bolts on one side. I had thought about welding little tabs onto the axle to keep it from rotating, but it seems pretty stable as is — can’t budge it. I might still weld little tabs onto it though.
Here’s a shot of the underside showing the steel bracket I fabricated.
I had to lengthen the Azusa steering column. I cut it in half, and inserted a length of pipe which had a perfect inner diameter, and welded it all together. Later, I welded the little tabs that connect to the steering tie rods.
The tie rods I got were too long (my other choice was too short) so I had to cut them to the proper length, then put threads onto the cut end with a die, which I’d never done before. A little hard to get the process started, but once you get it going, it’s pretty easy.
And finally, a little video: