cyclekart progress, Apr 25, 2010
April 25, 2010. Cyclekart progress. Or, rather, anti-progress.
This weekend, I was hoping to work on the hood of the kart. I was hoping to make it out of slats of wood, much as wooden canoes are mede. Alas, I do not think my wood working skills are up to snuff. I ran into a number of problems.
First, I wanted the “hood” to be removable, so that I might be able to repair or adjust the pedals and steering mechanism. So, this meant that the slats needed to free-standing relative to the bulkheads at either end. That meant I needed new “bulk heads”, at least two, one at each end, and more like three, to counteract the flexiness of the slats. Well, how to do construct the profile of such bulkheads, between two existing bulkheads, such that the slats rest on them neatly? Good freakin’ question. I got some dividers to measure inside distances, and a mechanics T-square, and did my best to measure things as precisely as I could. But it just wasn’t working. Part of the problem is the “bulkheads” at either end are not that precise, not that symmetric, pretty rough and ready. Anyway, no matter how precisely I tried to measure things, when I cut out the bulkheads with a bandsaw — very precisely, I might add — it didn’t matter, it came out with very large amounts of error. Though I measured down to 1/32 inch, I’d have errors in the half-inch range. So, there’s just a lot of error inherent in the system, or something I’m doing is amplifying the error, etc. It’s not working.
I am thinking the answer is to go back to the original cyclekartists’s solution — carved foam overlaid with fibreglass.
So, this weekend has been a bust as far as work on the cyclekart is concerned.