Cyclekart progress — 2012-06-24 heat shielding and extending cowling over dashboard


watch on youtube

Added heat shielding at various points in the engine compartment in hopes of being able to retain the stock exhaust system. Not sure this will work, so I may end up ripping it all out and replacing the exhaust with a custom setup. I actually already have the necessary pieces for the custom exhaust, but I suspect it’s rather more loud than I would like.

Also, extended the cowling over the dashboard by cutting a couple pieces out of plywood with a bandsaw and gluing them together. Then, I used a 1/4th inch roundover bit in a router to round off the edges. Then I epoxied it to the dash and put a couple layers of 6 oz. woven roving glass over it. Then, I tried to fair it with a mixture of epoxy and glass microbubbles. This was more or less successful, but it’s rather rougher than I would like, and I’ll probably need to do another round of fairing before it’s close to what I’m going for. And of course, while doing this I managed to drip nice streams of epoxy down the side of the kart, so I’ll have to resand that.

Looks like I won’t make my “end of June” schedule. Probably more like end of July, I’d guess now.

~ by scaryreasoner on June 24, 2012.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: